A good fertilizer spreader is an essential and versatile tool for anyone who enjoys gardening or does it commercially. If you cultivate plants in a larger capacity, there is no way around getting a sturdy spreader for consistent spreading in your garden or field.
Since fertilizer spreader is a one-time purchase for most, people set out to get a perfect spreader for their garden and yard. However, most often than not, they fail to get an excellent choice for the price they are paying. Since there is a wide variety of fertilizer spreaders in the market, buyers get overwhelmed and miss getting a spreader with a quality build that provides efficient operation. Well, we are here to help you with that.
In this review, we have listed ten elite spreaders (low end and high-end spreader) that you can get on Amazon right now. Some products might not be available at the time of your reading, so you can check them a bit later. We have reviewed every product with inputs from the gardening experts. Moreover, this is not a paid promotion, and we won’t hold anything back. We have shared what we like and what we don’t, so there is no bias for any products here.
With any of the products on this list, you will be able to guarantee an even application of spreadable materials- granulated or liquid lawn products.
Before you buy any fertilizer spreader
Why do you need a fertilizer spreader?
Most people who are new to the world of gardening often don’t think they will require a fertilizer spreader for their gardening work. This is true if you have a small garden without many plants. However, if you are working in a large field or large garden or your yard, there is no other way around if you want an efficient plantation.
Here are some advantages of fertilizer spreaders:
- Increases Accuracy
As mentioned earlier, if you want an even distribution of fertilizer on all of your plants, you will have to get a fertilizer spreader. The manual spread of fertilizer might work for some, but most of the time, it is an inefficient method of fertilizer spread.
- You don’t have to worry about fertilizer burn
Those who have used fertilizers in the past will know this: if there is an uneven distribution of fertilizer on the garden, it results in fertilizer burns and patchy surface area. A reliable fertilizer spreader will ensure that you will not have this problem in your field.
- Saves your valuable time
There is no denying that a proper fertilizer spreader saves your time. Once you get used to it, you can complete spreading fertilizers way faster than doing it manually.
There are different types of fertilizer spreaders available on the market:
- Handheld Spreaders
- Push Along Spreaders
- Tow-Behind Spreaders
Some things to keep in mind while buying a fertilizer spreader:
- What is the size of your lawn/field/garden?
- Is the spreader battery-powered?
- Weight of the Spreader and the spread width (broadcast width).
- Holding Capacity and Durability of the spreader. (Accurate Coverage Area)
10 Best Fertilizer Spreader
1. Scotts Turf Builder Pro Edgeguard DLX Broadcast Spreader
The Turf Builder Pro from Scotts is one of the best push-along fertilizer spreaders in the market. The spreader works without any issue with grass seeds, salt, and fertilizer. Additionally, you don’t need to spend any time assembling the device as it comes pre-assembled. Just buy one of these spreaders and some fertilizers; you are good to go.
There is a control panel on the spreader, which ensures that there is an even distribution of the materials. Moreover, the EdgeGuard technology on the spreader comes in handy when you want to prevent any products from spreading in non-lawn areas.
- The hopper on the spreader is large.
- You are good to go after purchasing the spreader as it comes pre-assembled.
- Very comfortable to use for a long time as it is lightweight.
- The wheel design could be better. People have complained that fertilizers or soil get crumbled out in lumps on the wheels when using the spreader.
- We are not impressed with the build quality of the spreader. It does not feel sturdy as it is supposed to.
2. Solo 421S Chest Mount Spreader
The Solo 421S Chest Mount Spreader is an impressive spreader from Solo. It is a chest-mounted portable spreader that comes with a shoulder strap. The large hopper on the spreader is 20lb, and it spreads up to 12 feet wide.
The Solo 421S shoulder spreader comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer. Some people are fond of a chest-mounted fertilizer than a wheeled one. If you fall under that demographic, this could be the best fertilizer spreader for you to get.
- Very easy to get used to.
- The spreader’s capacity is impressive, and it is very well-made.
- When the spreader is fully loaded, it can be heavy for some.
- People have questioned the placement of levels to open material flow.
- The spreader does not come with a warranty.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0463 Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
The 130 lb capacity hoppers on the ‘Fab 45-0463’ guarantees about half an acre of land cover. Also, the hopper is rustproof, which is always a bonus. The gears of this spreader are enclosed in a box. Also, the on and off switch is activated from the tractor’s seat.
The wide wheelbase is enough to provide stability on the uneven terrain. There have been no complaints about the coverage and the build quality of this particular spreader.
- Hopper capacity is massive.
- The build quality of the spreader is top-notch.
- It might not be easy to assemble for some.
- Buyers have complained that the hopper spring on this product is not strong enough.
4. Earthway 40 lb. Estate Broadcast Spreader
This commercial spreader from Earthway has 40 lb capacity. Its compact design and sturdy build have captured a lot of buyer’s attention over the years.
The heavy-duty frame on the spreader can hold a load up to 100 lbs. The tires are well made. Furthermore, the spreader comes with a five-year limited warranty, so you know they are not messing around.
You won’t have problems using the spreader for an extended period with correct spreader settings. It easily absorbs bumps, so using it on uneven surfaces is not much of a hassle.
- Extremely comfortable to use.
- Even Coverage.
- Top-notch design and build-quality.
- Poor assembly instructions. It might take you quite a bit of time to get this thing ready for use.
- The correct setting of lower dispersal rates is difficult to set.
5. Titan Fertilizer Broadcast Spreader
This push-along spreader from Titan comes with an adjustable handle. This helps in total control of the spreader in varying heights. The drum capacity is 50 lb, and the build of the spreader is mostly steel. Moreover, the gearbox, as well as the axle on the product, is very well-built.
The tires are 13-inch and are efficient. Buyers who love this product from Titan have raved about the spreader’s even spread coverage. Like the Earthway 2150, users might find it challenging to assemble the spreader initially.
- The build quality is imposing.
- Spread coverage is even.
- The adjustable handle makes the whole spreader very comfortable to move around.
- The assembly instructions on the Titan Professional are impossible to follow. You will have a hard time getting the parts together.
6. NorthStar Tow-Behind 21 Gallon Sprayer
This Tow Behind spreader from NorthStar weighs 60 lbs. Additionally, its tank size is 21 Gallons. The spray wand that comes with the spreader can shoot 30 feet horizontally and 19 feet in the vertical direction.
Moreover, it features foldable boom arms on the retractable tow bar. One feature that distinguishes this spreader from the rest is the ATV remote switch, which can be used to control the spray.
- Impressive build quality.
- The remote switch makes spreading fertilizer more fun.
- The hitch on the spreader does not feel sturdy.
- The sprayer brackets are flimsy.
7. Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader with Manual Deflector
The Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader is an impressive high-quality spreader, making it one of the popular choices among landscapers and homeowners with large lands or gardens.
The large wheels on the high capacity spreader are well-built, and you won’t have problems moving the device around. The frame of the Lesco High Wheel is made from steel. Hence, you won’t have to worry about rusting.
- High Capacity.
- A definite buy for professionals.
- The handle and larger wheels are impressive, and handling the spreader is very comfortable.
- Not suitable for someone with small gardens.
- The product does not come with any warranty.
8. Fasmov Fertilizer Spreader
This handheld spreader from Fasmov can be a solid choice for all the beginners out there. There is a marked in grade levels along the product’s side, which ensures precise and even fertilizer spread.
Measuring of output can be done through the adjustable hole in the container. Additionally, the spreader features very compact construction, so storing will not be an issue.
- Simple and Compact: Easy to use and store.
- Excellent for Beginners
- Affordable Price.
- Not suitable for large areas. (Definitely not for someone with large farms and large-sized yards as it takes a long time covering the entire large areas)
- It does not come with any warranty.
9. Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader
The mini version of the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard is a popular choice among many gardeners, and it does not surprise us. This product is affordable and perfect for someone who is just starting their gardening journey.
You can use the product on medium to large farms. Furthermore, you don’t have to spend hours setting up the spreader as it comes pre-assembled. People have complained about the quality of materials used on the product. However, considering the price, you can’t really complain about the build quality.
- It comes fully assembled out of the box.
- Affordable Price.
- Very lightweight and comfortable to use for an extended period of time.
- It comes with the EdgeGuard feature.
- The construction could be better.
- Not sturdy enough, and people have complained about the materials used in the spreader.
- The wheels feel cheap. (Fertilizers can accumulate on the wheel, which complicates the moving of the spreader)
10. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader with EdgeGuard Technology
The Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader could be the best battery generated fertilizing spreader in the market. This product is an excellent option for people with small to medium gardens or yards.
The Wizz Hand comes with the impressive Edge Guard Technology from Scotts. Those who have bought this spreader are impressed by the compact nature of the product.
- It comes with the impressive Edge guard technology.
- Battery Operated.
- The product Spreads fertilizer evenly.
- Compact (Easy to operate and store).
- Might not be suitable for all due to the rechargeable battery. It might be annoying to charge the machine before every time you use it.
- It does not come with a warranty.
- The housing does not feel high-end. It is a plastic housing which could not be durable.
- Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader
- Stalwart Handheld Spreader, Salt and Seed Spreader
- Chapin G362 Professional All-Purpose Hose End Sprayer
- Earthway 2050P Estate 80-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Which is a better fertilizer spreader: Handheld, chest-mounted spreader, or cart?
Every kind of spreader has its own advantage and disadvantage. It depends on your use and the size of your garden and yard. Hand spreading might not be suitable for a larger piece of land, while the commercial cart spreader might be overkill for backyard use.
Do I need a fertilizer spreader for my garden?
If you have a large yard, garden, or fields, getting a proper fertilizer spreader might be the way to go. A spreader ensures even the spreading mechanism and distribution of the fertilizer in the field.
Can I use granules as well as liquid in my fertilizer spreader?
Most handheld and chest-mounted fertilizer spreaders support the use of both liquid and granule fertilizers. However, most of the card spreaders only support granules. Make sure that you check the compatibility before you make your purchase.
Well, this is the end of the article. We hope we could shed some light on the current market of fertilizer spreaders. You will not go wrong with any of the heavy-duty design spreader or little spreader products on the list. However, make your perfect choice taking into account- your land size, the type of fertilizer you use, spread distance, and how often you fertilize your plants. Also, do an ick research on important factors like spread pattern, push spreaders, held spreader, spreader disk, and mini spreader before you make your purchase.
That’s about it for this article. Do check out our other articles on gardening and related subjects. Its goodbye for now. We will see you around.
Amelia is a plant and nature lover! Ever since she was little, she loved spending time in her family’s garden and learning about how to care for each plant individually. As an adult, she has dedicated herself to sharing what she has learned and continuing to expand her knowledge on the plant kingdom.