What is Aloe Vera?
Aloe Vera is the evergreen steam less or very short-stemmed hard plant that grows wild in tropical climates around the world for agricultural, medicinal uses, decorative purposes, and an indoor pot plant. The leaves are thick and fleshy, with white flecks on their upper and lower stem surfaces. It is also used in beverages, skin lotion, cosmetics, and to cure burns and sunburns.
Aloe Vera has been widely grown as an ornamental plant as it is popular with modern gardeners as a medicinal plant and for its exotic flowers, form, and taste.
How to grow Aloe Vera Plant?
- To grow Aloe Vera plant, prepare cactus potting soil mix or a regular potting soil that has been enhanced with building soil.
- Cut the roots of old aloe vera plant which has small aloe vera plant extension.
- Make sure that pot has plenty of drainage holes, as the plants cannot tolerate standing water.
- Also, lights should be proper, as they need bright light.
- Both cutting methods and seedling can grow it. Besides, if you cut off the leaves, the plant will replace them by developing a new one at the top, but the blades you cut will not grow back.
How to take care of the Aloe Vera plant?
- Water the plant regularly. Before watering the plant, it should be considered whether the soil is completely dry or not. The plant should not be often watered, and drainage is most.
- Fertilized once a year using phosphorous and water-based fertilizer at half strength.
- If you watered regularly and did not allow water to pass then your plant may die.
- This plant cannot tolerate heavy frost and snow so either grows them indoor or make a greenhouse for the plants if you are doing farming on a large scale.
How to harvest Aloe Vera plant?
Harvesting Aloe Vera is simple but needs to be done carefully. The pointy leaves can sometimes scratch your hands. We recommend using gardening gloves to harvest Aloe vera.
- Harvesting the plant mostly means cutting leaves of the plant so use sharp knives or scissors.
- While cutting a leaf, leave about an inch on the stem so you don’t accidentally kill the plant.
- You can cut the whole leaves at once or leave some to grow more.
- When done harvesting, you can use the gel from leaves to use on beauty products, make gels, use on acne, use on your face, or whatever you want to do with it.
Uses and Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a popular medicinal plant having several benefits on our health. It is widely used in the cosmetic, pharmaceutical, and food industries and well recognized for its thick, pointed and fleshy leaves having slimy tissue that stores water. The slimy membrane is the gel that is used in making products containing numerous benefits.
Likewise, it also contains powerful antioxidant compounds that help inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. It also helps in healing the burn wounds, treats constipation, anti-aging effects on the skin helps with blood sugar management, reduces dental problems, hair care, cures menstrual issues, and boosts immunity.
The Aloe Vera plant has several compounds like mannans, lectins, and 18 amino acids that are incredibly beneficial for human health. Aloe juice is also a good source of energy.
Cosmetic Products made from Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Aloe Vera shampoo – for stronger hair
- Sleeping mask – for glowing skin
- Hair spray – for hair growth
- Makeup setting spray
- Body wash – soft and smooth skin
- Shaving gel – for silky smooth skin and prevents ingrown hair
- Hair growth mask – for longer stronger hair
- Eyelash growth serum – improve length and thickness of eyebrows
Possible Side effects of Aloe Vera
It is possibly safe when taken in a small dose for a short term but unsafe when taken in high doses. It can cause stomach pain and cramps, diarrhea, kidney problems, blood in urine, low potassium, muscle weakness, weight loss, and heart disturbances. It can also be harmful to a pregnant woman can cause miscarriage if you take by mouth when pregnant.
Where can I buy Aloe Vera Plant?
Aloe Vera plants are available on most of the stores near you. You can also contact local nurseries and florists. It is possible to buy from online stores like Amazon and Etsy where Aloe Vera plants are for sale.
Do Aloe Vera plants have flower?
Yes, Aloe vera plant bloom. The aloe vera flower blooms on the thin stem that grows up to 3 feet.